Friday, December 11, 2009

How self-talk can influence you and your team

Did you ever realize there is a constant voice in your head that keeps up a steady, involuntary chatter. And it never seems to go away. We all talk to ourselves, though this may sound narcissistic, this is the way we are all wired. And more importantly we tend to listen to what we have to say to ourselves - whether it is positive or negative.

Which means we need to be conscious of how we talk to ourselves to ensure that we are not engaged in self-destructive talk. We need to talk to ourselves differently based on the circumstance and what we want to accomplish at any given moment.
Why not use this self-talk to pump ourselves up and keep us full of energy - through the use of positive self-talk. For example when I need to start a new project which I believe is difficult I use the mantra:
"when the going gets tough, the tough get going". This allows me to refocus on the difficult task and propels me forward.

In my experience I have realized that we can influence the self-talk of others towards positivity and productivity in the way we direct our talk towards them. Once I pump myself up through the use of positive self-talk, I tend to pump others up unconciously. At the end of certain meetings, to leave my team members with a sense of purpose, I close the meeting with a positive "lets go kick ass". I believe their own self-talk will turn positive based on how I close the meeting.

Through out your day, talk to your self in a positive manner and see yourself achieving your objectives, this would keep your enthusiasm high and make the journey towards success a lot easier.

So "talk to yourself in a positive way" to remind yourself of your goals everyday. You will be half-way towards achieving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment